Friday, October 03, 2008

Thursday Caleb scare...

Well this is where our bad week started and kept going down hill from there. It was a quiet day he was in school and I was volunteering at his school as my usual. His class comes from their Special area and on Thursday that is gym. When he came out he seemed fine and just complained of being thirsty. So I said ok hunny we are headed straight to lunch as they do everyday after their special areas. So in line he had gotten his milk and tray and he kept saying mama I'm really really thirsty I say ok well lets let her finish getting your tray done and you can go to the table and drink your milk. Well then what he does next puts me in pure shock and scare. He grabs his chest and says Mommy my chest hurts and falls to the floor not fainting just couldn't stand. I say Caleb whats wrong, Are you gonna be sick. He says I don't know and is crying hysterical. I run him to the bathroom where he again collapses to the floor. I bring him out and he then grabs his chest again and falls to the floor crying saying it hurts. I was becoming hysterical....whats wrong Caleb tell mommy...I don't know mama it hurts really bad. I walk him back into the hallway to get a drink of water and he collapsed yet again so I take him straight to the nurses station. Where he by now has turned very very pale, clammy and kept collapsing. They checked his blood pressure it was fine they checked his oxygen and temp all fine. But she couldn't figure why he was breathing so fast and couldn't stand. They listened to his chest and both nurses said they could hear a rubbing sound on his left side and thought he needed to go straight to the Dr. So off to the Er we went. They ran a chest X-ray it came back clear, EKG it came back fine, Blood work only showed a mild dehydration. The ER told us that he thought he has Costochondritis. Definition of Costochondritis is an inflammation of the cartilage that connects a rib to the breastbone (sternum). It causes sharp pain in the costosternal joint — where your ribs and breastbone are joined by rubbery cartilage. Pain caused by costochondritis may mimic that of a heart attack or other heart conditions. No meds given just a sprite and instructions to push fluids and follow up with his Ped the next day. So we held him out of school on Friday and took him to the Dr. after Camis morning appt at Vanderbilt(I give that appt info in the next blog). His appt went well he had a good check-up. His ped pushed on his chest and said if he did in fact have Costochondritis he would have screamed or kicked him from the pain from pushing. So he then went into thoughts of acid reflux. Caleb had this bad when he was a baby. He thought Caleb might have had an Esophagus Spasm Signs and symptoms of esophageal spasms include:

Pain in your chest, often intense, which you might mistake for heart pain (angina)
Difficulty swallowing (dysphagia)
The feeling that an object is stuck in your throat (globus)
Bringing food back up (regurgitation)
Heartburn, a burning sensation that may radiate from your upper abdomen to your neck, sometimes leaving a sour taste in your mouth

So he put him on Prevacid. This is just the start if the chest pains progress we will look further into it. He said it could be Pleurisy, What Is Pleurisy?
Pleurisy, also called pleuritis, is an inflammation of the pleura, which is the moist, double-layered membrane that surrounds the lungs and lines the rib cage. The condition can make breathing extremely painful. Sometimes it is associated with another condition called pleural effusion, where excess fluid fills the area between the membrane's layers.

He didn't think it was heart related because hes never had problems with his heart and he has a good sounding heart. But said it could be lung related so we are just to watch him closely. Said if he has more chest pain when be active to bring him back immediately.

After all this excitement we thought we should just get away for the weekend and went camping. It was such a wonderful trip my hubby's two sisters and their family's joined us along with his parents. It was such a great little getaway just to get out an enjoy the beautiful crisp fall breeze. The trees are starting to turn colors we had the fires going and the kids where running and playing and just enjoying the outdoors and of course their Nannie and Papas new camper. I don't think I hardly ever saw Caleb he was glued to them and in fact stayed the night with them in there camper. He did very well over the weekend just complained of being tired and he had some pretty intense stomach pains every once in a while but other than that he did great, no more chest pains.

So back to reality on Monday, kids back at school and me at home doing my normal cleaning....laundry, laundry and more laundry. I then get a phone call from Calebs school and my heart is racing a hundred miles an hour. The nurse says I have Caleb up here and he is complainig of headaches. She said he had no temp but just looked really sad. So I told her if she thought he looked ok for him to stick it out for a minute I would call the Dr and get back to her. I asked them if headaches and stomach pains where a side effect to the prevacid they said it shouldn't and to go ahead and bring him back in. So back to school I go when I got there I was shocked to see him so puny. He had a really bad headache I'm talking migraine he couldn't even hold his eyes open from the pain. So he had some time before his appt so I brought him home gave him some Motrin and put him down for a nap. He awoke feeling much better. At the Dr. he checked out fine of course but she said his throat looked red so she tested him for strep, it came back negative. So nothing they really could do since he was running no temp and his last week symptoms had them stumped. Is this all related to something more serious.....I don't know...its the unknowns all over again! I just pray that we never see anything like that again. He did run a temp of 101.3 Monday night and then complained of some throat pain but by Wednesday he was better. So I sent him back to school on Thursday and he has done great since then. Teachers are just keeping a close eye on him.
Of course I must have picked up my cooties from him, or just from being in out of all the Dr.s offices. I thought I had the flu at first, then bad headaches, stomach pains, sore throat kept getting worse and worse then got to wear I couldn't swallow so I knew I had strep and sure enough it was indeed. But 2 shots and an antibiotic I'm am feeling tons better. So maybe now we are all on the road to recovery. Stay tuned ;)

No comments: